Tuesday, April 1, 2014

PANK s, plural

A while ago, Jamez Chang and I collaborated on some poetry. Jamez is already a talented hip-hop artist and poet, so I was excited to find out how our respective literary styles would compliment each other. Jamez made recordings of us reading the poems and they feature, along with the text of the poetry, in PANK.

I know it's not cool to shout your own praises, but what Jamez has done, along with a track from Beatsmith Medore, is superb! Well worth a minute of your time, if you can lend us your ears.

Thanks, Jamez, and Beatsmith, and thanks many times over to Roxane Gay, M Bartley Seigel, Colin Winnette, and Sheila Squillante at PANK.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words and your friendship through the creative process. I really appreciated your responsiveness and willingness to put in the work, at some very odd hours. Much Respect, Jamez

Lori said...

I'm unable to open that PANK link and I absolutely want to listen to this!

Rachel Fenton said...

Jamez, thank you for the encouragement and constant support throughout the whole process of our collaboraation - it was easy to put in the effort, knowing that it would be appreciated and reciprocated to the power of ten.

Rachel Fenton said...

Thanks, Lori - I've changed the link now - let me know if there's still a problem with it! The link to PANK's main page is here: http://pankmagazine.com/ and it might be easier to follow the links from there.

Thank you for all your support x

Andrea said...

Congrats! Can't wait to listen :-)

Rachel Fenton said...

Thanks, Andrea! I loved your recent recording!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XKzidXJsvU

Lori said...

Wow, Rachel! It's mesmerizing. I've been listening to the two poems over and over. It's brilliant what you've done! Your voice is so well suited for this style of ... poetry on music? I mean,I was expecting Jamez Chang to sound good, and not that I was expecting you to sound bad, but I was not expecting this perfection. Beautiful! I think you've stumbled onto something here that you might want to continue.

Rachel Fenton said...

Thank you, Lori! XXX I enjoy working with Jamez and I think the proof's in the pudding - so glad you like the poems :)I'm not spoken word poetry - I dunno how to categorise what we've done - Jamez would be able to tell you, I'm sure. Thanks for your lovely comment, though - made my day!